Items You Will Need:
For any type of visa, you will need to submit a completed and signed visa application form. As of
8/1/13, the Consulate will only accept the new visa application form. You can open and download an Adobe Acrobat© version of the form using the following link:
New 2013 China Visa Application Form
You may also download and print the following instructions for completing the China visa application:
Instructions for Completing China Visa Application
You will need Adobe Acrobat® Reader to open the form. Click on the Adobe graphic to download a free copy of Acrobat reader.
In addition to your completed, and signed, application you will need the following:
- A valid U.S. passport for each person traveling. Three of the inside visa pages must be blank and the passport(s) must be valid for at least 6 months beyond your travel date.
In addition to the actual passport, please include one plain paper copy of the photo/signature page.
If you need to obtain or renew your U.S. Passport, click here to link to the State Department's passport page.
Note: Each passport must be signed. Adults and older children should always sign their own passports. The signature should match the name on the passport. For children who are too young to sign their own passports, a parent may sign on their behalf using this format: "child's name by parent's name (relationship)."
Important! Always make and retain for your records a photocopy of the signature/photo page from each passport.
- One passport style/size color photo of each person traveling. The
photo must show the person's full face against a white background.
As of 12/1/16, the Consulate has been rejecting applications where the photo
submitted was taken against a blue, beige (or any other color) background.
- One copy of each applicant's (age 18 and over) driver's license.
- If employed, a brief, 2 to 3 sentence job description typed on a separate
piece of paper. A general description is sufficient. Each person
employed must submit a separate sheet with their own job description.
- As of 8/1/12, you must provide one of the following documents:
- An Invitation Letter for Tourist Group or Invitation Letter for Tourist by a Duly Authorized Tourism Unit, or
- An Invitation Letter issued by companies, corporations, institutions, or individuals in China. If the invitation letter is issued by an individual in China, the person inviting you must include a photocopy of his or her Chinese identification card, or
- A photocopy of the roundtrip airline ticket and hotel reservation.
NOTE: Families traveling for an adoption can submit a copy of
their LOA/LOC document in place of hotel and flight reservations. The
Consulate requires a copy of the LOA/LOC for each person traveling.
See page 2 of our "Additional Visa Requirements" document for specific requirements for the invitation letter.
- If you are applying for a visa for a daughter or son adopted from China, please see our "Additional Visa Requirements" document for specific information.
NOTE: For adopted Chinese children the Consulate is requiring that the Chinese characters for the child's original Chinese name be written in box 1.3 of the visa application form. For example, let's say that the adopted child's original Chinese name was Zhang (family name) Xuemeng (given name) in Pinyin. On the visa application, write the following in box 1.3:
Please make sure that you use the correct Chinese characters. For most adoptive families, the easiest place to find them will be on the child's original Chinese passport or the Chinese adoption certificate.
- A money order made out to "Consulate General of the P.R.C. in Houston." You may combine the Consulate fees for all of the visas you need onto a single money order.
The Houston Consulate accepts payment by money order only.
As of 1/4/07, the Consulate no longer accepts company checks.
The Consulate fee per visa for normal, 4-5 working day processing is:
Note: The Houston Consulate no longer offers rush, expedited, or "Next Business Day" service for visa applications.
|Consulate Fee for Chinese Visa - Normal Service
|Number of Entries
||Note: The fee for all visas is $140, regardless of the number of entries requested. Almost all visas as issued are valid for 10
years and allow multiple entries within that period.
|Multiple 12 Month
(Almost all Visas are now issued for multiple entries for a 12-month period.)
- A prepaid, self-addressed FedEx or UPS letter pack so that we can ship the passport(s) and visa(s) back to you.
Make shipping easy - set up an account with FedEx. Click this link to find out how.
- A check for our service fee of $45 per visa for normal service. Please make the check payable to "My China Docs."
|My China Docs Visa Service Fee
|Number of Visas
(4-5 Business Days)
(Next Business Day)
||Discontinued by the Houston Chinese Consulate - No longer available.
Also, there are additional requirements for children under age 18, children under age 18 who were adopted from China, for anyone planning to work or study in China, and for anyone who is not a citizen of the United States. Click the link below to view the additional requirements:
Additional Visa Requirements
Please e-mail or call us if you have questions about the type of visa that you will need.
For e-mail, please use:
By phone, please feel free to contact me at 832-368-1844 between:
Central Time, Monday through Friday. I'll be happy to help in whatever way I can.
You may also send us a fax message at any time at 832-201-8175.